- Blepharoplasty surgery should only be performed by an experienced and well-trained cosmetic surgeon.
- Ophthalmic plastic surgeons (oculoplastic surgeons) are expert blepharoplasty surgeons with cosmetic surgical training of the eyelids and surrounding areas (forehead/eyebrows/midface (cheeks).
- Oculoplastic surgeons are first trained in ophthalmology (eye diagnosis and treatment) before their cosmetic training in blepharoplasty surgery.
- Surgeons from numerous specialties such as otolaryngology (ENT), general plastic surgery and general surgery perform blepharoplasty.
- Clearly an eyelid expert (oculoplastic surgeon) is the best choice for blepharoplasty surgery.
- Oculoplastic surgeons performing blepharoplasty surgery will reduce the incidence of postoperative complications. Why? Because they are the best trained surgeons in eyelid (blepharoplasty) surgery.
- Oculoplastic surgeons are trained to diagnose and correct ptosis (weak eyelid muscle) which is often needed with blepharoplasty surgery.
- Oculoplastic surgeons are trained to deal with canthoplasty surgery which is often needed with lower lid blepharoplasty surgery .
- Oculoplastic surgeons are also better suited for the complexities of revisional blepharoplasty surgery
As you can see blepharoplasty surgery requires ophthalmic expertise. Make sure to at least consult with an oculoplastic surgeon before deciding on who performs your blepharoplasty surgery